History | Cambridge FC

History of Cambridge Football Club

To start with, the club was started in 1948, and by that time, its players’ jersey was light blue, the colours that Cambridge University England uses. By 1951 March the 20th, this club held its first ever formal meeting. It is then that Viv Butler was appointed as the club’s president and R.S. Entwistle, the patron. It is Butler's support for club Arsenal that led the club colours to be changed in the course of the 50s. They started playing in red and white striped jerseys.

This club continued playing its home games on the Town Square up until 1957 when they built a two-room shed made of wood on the Leamington Domain. This structure cost them a paltry 134.19. In December the 1st 1964 Cambridge Borough Council donated land to the club in Vigel Street and plans to build clubrooms were realized. The club moved the Vogel St grounds, three years later and it is now stationed there ever since. To date, the Waipa District Council still continues to own the grounds, however, it has leased to the club on a long-term basis.

The Cambridge Football club in 1972 applied for its senior men's team to take part in the Northern League competition for the first time. Two years down, there was the need to extend the clubrooms as well as the playing grounds. The club established new playing grounds for its junior teams just beside the Polo Club grounds, north of Vogel St.

  • This club in 1978 elected its first ever women committee member. Since then, the club has been moving from glory to glory and first forward in 2001this club won the Waipa Sports Club of the year award. This was its first time to obtain this treasured award. Four years later in 2005, the Waipa District Council approved the Polo Grounds transfer to the club for its junior players. Polo club on theatre hand moved to the new playing field in Lamb St, Leamington.

  • The club knocked down the old polo clubhouse to construct a modern junior building. This would be the new home for the junior teams, which was received well by the juniors. They expressed their gratitude by winning all of the five 8th-open grade WJSA knockout trophies.

  • This club got acknowledged in 2016 by Corrections NZ with a Community Services award. This was for the work that they had done over the three years, of providing work opportunities to convicts to serve the community.

The next year, the club experienced a huge registration, which for the first time exceeded the 800 mark. This can be attributed to the club’s good standing as well as the football popularity in the town. This club has consistently been successful throughout the season. It won the Loaded WaiBOP Premiership, championship titles, Waikato Women’s League, and has retained the WaiBOP Challenge Shield up until 2018.